Thursday, May 30, 2013

Veggies - Oven Roasted


I am trying (real hard!) to increase my intake of vegetables ... it's just a little difficult because I do NOT like a lot of veggies.



NOW, at the ripe ole age of 49, I'm finding that I don't like them because of the way they've been prepared.

Take broccoli for example ... (and if anyone is singing Chopping Broccoli while they read this, RAISE YOUR HAND!) ... I always hated the smell, the texture, the little shrubby pieces left behind in your mouth ... just everything about it, totally disliked and would turn my nose up at it ...

But I keep trying ... and NOW? I love it ... but only this way:

ROASTED.

Which is so stinkin easy, I can't believe I didn't try this before!!


Ready for the easiest recipe yet?

Take your head of broccoli and rinse well (you know little bugs live in there, right? Another thing I hated)

Dry best you can. Chop up the florets into smallish pieces, removing most of the stem part too.

Toss in a bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil, salt (this here is my new favorite salt!) and pepper ...


Line a baking tray with parchment paper and dump out the green trees, spreading them out to a single layer ...


Roast in the oven set at 400 degrees til brown and tender. Don't let them over cook and get mushy ... that's when they get that icky taste :-(



Serve up with something equally delicious on the side and call it a day!

Seriously, I can't believe I'm eating broccoli now!

*First time I did this, I made with cauliflower and broccoli. Lined the pan with foil and left the pieces rather large. Noticed that Sonny Boy was scarfing all the broccoli down. That's when I figured, heck, I better try that before he eats them all ... THAT was when I started buying broccoli every trip to the store!

*The foil, in my opinion, may make the veggies steam a little more ... the parchment paper makes it a little dryer for roasting purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment