Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Poblano Stuffed Peppers ... Taco Style

It's not easy avoiding grain, let alone dairy, soy, etc. I mean, heck, wheat lurks EVERYWHERE ... as does them pesky 'whole' grains ... avoiding them is really difficult when you are trying to eat with those who don't want to be told they are intentionally NOT eating grains!

Best approach is just all natural foods, avoiding anything in a package that has more than a few (up to 5) ingredients. Which means a little more work in the kitchen. Which is fine and dandy as I like to be in the kitchen (most times) but not after a long day at work.

With Sonny Boy being home, I wanted to make foods that he would enjoy and stuff that I could improvise for myself, without making too much more work. Which is how I ended up with these.

Oh. And not to mention, I found these over at this Finn In The Kitchen place ... mine aren't exactly like hers, but the whole idea totally inspired me!

Poblano peppers have a slight heat. They ARE a chili pepper ... when dried, they take the name of chili ancho. They taste 'green' and, in my opinion, have a little bit of a smokey flavor, which isn't really the word I'm looking for ... I can't really find the word to describe them, if you can imagine. I got mine at Whole Foods for $3.99 a pound, which is about the price of regular colored peppers. FYI ... just found some this past weekend for 99 cents a pound ...


Just whip up your favorite taco meat recipe ... go ahead, venture away from the pre-packaged envelope stuff, you'll be glad you did ...

Take a couple of poblano peppers, 1 large or 2 smaller ones per person/serving, wash and dry, cut in half and pull out seeds and cut around the top stem part. Pat the inside dry and drizzle a little olive oil on the inside and outside.

Set peppers on a baking tray and broil for about 1 to 2 minutes per side. You want them a little less raw, but not charred or mushed.


Once cooked a little, they will open up ... I will definitely char them a little more then next time around. So, after they are cooked a little, add your meat to the inside, top with toppings (lettuce, salsa, sour cream, cheese, etc.)


Serve up.

Now, I originally was going to be adventurous and eat with my hand, intending to sort of cup the pepper in my palm and shove in my mouth but opted to eat with a fork and knife, cutting as I went along. I may have overstuffed them? :) Not a bad thing, trust me.

This was such a nice change from the usual taco salad that I make ... I think I will stick with this for a little while!

No comments:

Post a Comment